Friday, February 5, 2010

90th Carnival of Genealogy--Third Annual iGene Awards

Its time for The Third Annual iGene Awards, The Best of The Best!

It's Academy awards time... time for the Academy of Genealogy and Family History, aka AGFH, to honor their best blog posts of 2009 in the following 5 categories:

Best Picture - Best old family photo that appeared on your blog in 2009. Tell us which you liked best and why.

Best Screen Play - Which family story that you shared in 2009 would make the best movie? Who would you cast as your family members?

Best Documentary - Which was the best informational article you wrote about a place, thing, or event involving your family's history in 2009?

Best Biography - Which was the best biographical article you wrote in 2009?

Best Comedy - Which was the best funny story, poem, joke, photo, or video that you shared on your blog in 2009?

The rest of the challenge reads in part: Start digging back into your archives and choose which of your blog posts deserve to be recognized for outstanding achievement. There is no nomination process. You just need to announce your winning blog posts for the 5 categories mentioned above in an article on your blog and submit it to the Carnival of Genealogy.

I have only been blogging since April of 2009, not even a full year and I found this COG to be a REAL challenge. I spent several hours of delightful review of my past posts. I have posts about RVing and Genealogy, but for this challenge I will only consider posts that have to do with family research.

And the awards go to - - -

Best Picture: The Trumbo Foundry. Winner because of the new horizons I visited before this blog was posted. I learned so much and I got permission to use this photo in my blog and my family history. It is a photo that shows history and “a sign of the times”, and it is my grandfather! And, the place is a place I know!

Honorary Mention (not in the challenge, but I gotta go there):  The Darden sibs. Deserves mention because of the strong emotions this photo gets from me every time I see it, it tugs at my heart in so many different ways.  This is a family that loves deep and have no qualms of sharing that love.

Best Screen Play: They Worked Hard, Bowen version.   The movie will have drama (hurricanes and fire), and characters (my grandmother and the other locals of the Outer Banks, you just HAVE to be a character to live there year round and that is a compliment!).  Actors to play the parts, to be determined (which is my cop out way of saying - I have no clue - I don’t follow movies, or actors much these days.)

Honorary mention: The Series, My Best Vacations, by the entire clan.  Gosh I had fun with this. Would  not be a serious heart tugging movie, nor would it be akin to the movie RV, just some great family fare.  My three favorite summer vacations, by Son # 1 and family.   My three favorite summer vacations, by Son # 2 and finacee’.  And, My three favorite summer vacations, by Man and Moi

Best Documentary: Ancestor Military Battles, Solomon B. Eley, my award winner, partly because of the emotional attachment I feel to this ancestor, but also because of the documents I have found, documents of a different kind, that surrender document is among my most exciting genie-finds.

Honorary mention: Citizenship vs love, deserving of mention because it discusses a part of citizenship that is not commonly known or understood.

Another Honorary mention:  Richard Bowen, my Thanksgiving ancestor.  Discoveries while researching this direct lineage ancestor gave me a new appreciation of Thanksgiving, and keep on giving.

Best Biography: Pat Lombardini, my Orphan.  There are other biographies I have done that I love, but this one, beyond a doubt, was a heart string tugger. 

Best Comedy: The Switch.   Winner, because it is one of our favorite family funny stories. It may not be that funny to my readers, but since I am the judge and jury here, it wins!

Honorary mentions: Don’t trust your brother, brothers are special, aren’t they?  They even provide a humorous family story now and then.  And, I had the photos to prove it!

Another Honorary mention goes to:  Did he or did he not drink the hydraulic fluid?  Who can explain why something tickles your black humor fancy?  I can't, but I did giggle a lot over this newspaper find.

Well, there they are, my iGene Awards.  Congratulations to the winners and the honorary mentions too.


* Thank you to Creative Gene for sponsoring this carnival and to footnoteMaven for the poster.

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence.
.

.

2 comments:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Great post. You ARE the winner!

J.M. said...

Great posts. I liked your pick for best picture.